Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sympathy for the English Language Learner

I was looking at the Wikipedia entry for the English verb conjugation tables recently. There are a lot of verb forms in English! ESL students have my sympathy. The following plausible conversation between a preliterate American and his parent shows how a five year old American uses or understands 18 separate verb forms. Someone learning English as a second language has a lot of work to catch up to a five year old.

Parent: Do you wish to play with Jimmy? (infinitive)
Child: I love playing (gerund) but I play with Jimmy a lot. (simple present indicative) Let me play with Freddy today, puh-leease? (simple present imperative)
P: Did you play with Freddy yesterday? (intensive past indicative).
C: I was playing with him in the morning, but just a little. (simple past progressive indicative)
P: You would play with him every day if I let you. (simple present conditional)
C: Yes! I would have played with him all day yesterday if you'd let me. (present perfect conditional)
P: You will be playing with Freddy tomorrow. (simple future progressive indicative)
C: Really!? I will play with him tomorrow? (simple future indicative)
P: Yes! And then you will have played with him four times this week. (future perfect indicative)
C: Have I been playing with him too much? (present perfect progressive indicative)
P: You would be playing with him now if you could but I think that's okay. ( simple present progressive conditional)
(Later on the phone)
P: Are you playing with Freddy and his little brother now? (simple present progressive indicative)
C: We played with his brother but he's napping now. (simple past indicative)
P: Time to come home now. In another half hour you will have been playing with Freddy for 4 hours. (future perfect progressive indicative)
C: Awww! May I play with him some more? (simple present potential)
P: I think you might have been playing too much today. (pluperfect progressive potential)

I could probably add some more but my attention span has expired.

No comments: